Monday 31 January 2011

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold. Apparently.

I was told today that I am cool. By a tutor. And a class mate. And general consensus of silence, and inferred meaning when the room was told by the tutor that not one of us there was wearing clothes that weren't cool. Except him, he said.

I disagree on almost every count with everyone who said these things this morning. I never considered myself to be associated with the c-word. Most of the people in the seminar I would call any number of things before I arrived at cool.

We've hit a snag, you see, in my writing. I listed a bunch of things that make me a non-typical student. I should probably rephrase that- I listed a bunch of things that make me far from the student stereotype-laziness, partying every single night, not doing my work, sponging off the state, that sort of thing.


According to popular news-bearer T. Internet, even being a dickhead could be considered as cool.


I cited wearing slippers, drinking Earl Grey, bitter and Scotch, groaning and grumbling when moving, that sort of thing. All the sorts of things a middle-aged man does. Turns out, these are considered cool things by most of the classmates. And there's the rub. They are, I suppose, cool to people like us. If not cool, at least respected, seen as different and quirky, accepted, desired even. But that is because we are a bunch of writers, slightly stuffier and with a different skew on life to say someone majoring in sports instruction. And that's fine. We're not cool, but we band together around the same pinaccles of "I want to be that guy"-ness.

So, apparently, there's no stereotypical student after all. Or, really, there is, but they don't exist in real life in any majority. You're all cool among your groups of friends, for different reasons. And therefore no one is cool, universally. Not in real life. Just a little something I sat and thought about, anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment