Sunday 11 September 2011

My family went to Italy...

And all they brought me back was this lousy... Oh, wait. It's actually pretty nice.


Yes, breaking tradition with the typical stick of rock, I Love Romans t-shirt or Sistine Chapel fridge magnet, I received a very nice quill set. A choice of three nibs, a handle moulded from Morano glass with bronze and copper inlaid, and a wax-sealed bottle of ink. Lovely.

Even the wrapping paper was pretty immense- a neat rectangle detailing the many archetypes in traditional Italian theatre, including Scaramuccia and Pantalone.


Italian theatre and its eventual evolution through comeddia dell'arte to the slapstick silent movie and farcical one act comedy routines is a hugely untapped and untold of discipline for many in Western Europe still, despite it's incredible influence on modern comedy, and the fact that it recognised that characters at their basic root are set in types despite the best efforts of the greatest storyteller was very forward-thinking and meta for its time. As such a rich vein for storytellers, and as a reminder of this fact, it has pride of place on my wall, framed by clashing lime green wallpaper. I hope the maestros of that art don't mind too much.

Incidentally, the quill came with a bookmark of the same design of the wrapping paper. I have since mislaid it, but am about to turn the whole room over looking for it as it is a) really nice and b) the only intact bookmark I won, with the rest being so well thumbed they're more or less shredded.

No comments:

Post a Comment