Friday 21 May 2010

Overheating... Things on the fritz... Televised Dust to Dust...

Well it's been an eventful twenty four hours truth be told. Woke up to a great day, sun shining, really warm, to the point where I had to change my shirt twice.

It was galling to realise I was without the sole core of my life- my laptop. And when I say it's the core of my life, that isn't a nerdy comment or a geeky love note. Honestly, today was difficult without a computer and without access to the internet. It was as galling to realise how much I depend on it as it was to actually have to do without it.

On the one hand yes, I ended up making myself familiar with these two again:





But on the downside the lack of contact with emails, Facebook and other sites was grating, leaving me feeling detached from responsibility (with SCAN and other duties being purely discussed via the internet) and also removing the possibility to endeavour in my usual practice of writing longhand, typing the draft up, printing it and then scribbling all over the neat copy and repeating. Honestly, I floundered a little today, as though the removal of one small cuboid of plastic and copper meant that I'd reverted into this:



While it'd be a definite aesthetic improvement, I'm not fond of the idea of being deevolved to something of that intellect. Also, I can't stand Rubic's Cubes.

That said, I did manage to coax it into life momentarily (well, for three twenty minute windows, roughly) to watch the finale of Ashes to Ashes as everbody literally died in the 80s world. Now, you might think that's a spoiler, but trust me; it's not what it looks like, or what you think it means.

The last episode was a corker, absolutely back on form after a rather lacklustre penultimate episode (although that may just be because I was watching it pissed). Still, they rushed Viv's funeral a bit, maybe necessarily, and the whole hour was a little bit filler-y.

The finale really trumps the telly schedule in terms of writing though. The seeping hints at Life On Mars that have been peppered throughout the series were all wrapped neatly together and there was a definite sense that the writers had had this on the cards from day one- you hear that, Heroes? You see, Lost? Brits know how to write, can plot, and don't force shows to last for seven series longer than they should. Pfft.

Gene Hunt is revealed to be something completely unexpected, but manages to be completely Gene Hunt even when the audience is kicked with this curve ball, and the last few scenes really do feel taut and gripping. The major cast members all get their own ending and story fulfilled, and there's a cameo from the bloke behind the desk in Casualty.

The one thing I will say- and look away now, car lovers- is that when Gene tells the baddie "I'm arresting you for killing my car you bastard!", the death of the Quattro hits harder than Viv's. Sorry Viv, but you weren't that cool.

Still, Ashes to Ashes has finally been laid in the earth and a cracking idea, time travelling comatose cops in their own heads and not their own time zones, has been given the send off it deserved. Dixon of Dock Green even gets a little look in.

I've now got to find something better to watch on my Fridays. Once I can get on iPlayer again- have you seen how much batteries and adapters cost these days? Next entry will take a while, I'll be typing one handed having sold one arm and one leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment